Shabby Blogs Background

Friday, February 24, 2012

Halloween layout for Get Picky

I know, I know! Spring is just around the corner so why am I scrapping Halloween? Because I can!! LOL!
Actually, it wasn't on my table to scrap. I did not wake up yesterday and say "I've got to get those Halloween pictures down on paper today!" But ... somehow it happened anyway!

I am a couple days behind with LOAD so I was working on the prompt for Day 22 which was "holidays". Our LOAD Scrapper on the Street, Dani did a layout about Halloween and I felt the pieces of my layout fall into place. Thanks Dani!! I was also able to combine a couple other challenges into it, namely Apron Strings Bake Your Cake challenge and Get Picky's sketch challenge.

Here's the sketch I used (loosely!)

And here's my layout.


I thought I'd use some leftover Halloween papers but I couldn't find any - I guess I used them up already. What I do have plenty of (kind of hording it 'cus I love it so much!) is the Spice Cake DSP from the Holiday mini (discontinued now - I checked the Clearance Rack of my On-line store but it's not there ... yet?) 


To create the title I used 3 different stamp sets - Jayne's Type AlphabetJust Perfect Alphabet and Calendar Alphabet & Numbers. I used my Stamp-a-ma-jig to get them perfectly aligned. (I totally meant to do that! Sigh. Clearly I need some practice!) The leaves were stamped using the Gently Falling stamp set (also from the Holiday mini so now discontinued - hopefully they bring it back for next year as it is a great set!) 


To add some distinctly Halloween elements I used 4 stamps from the Out on a Limb stamp set. This pumpkin one - 3 goofy pumpkins for my 3 goofy girls!


This little black cat for my little kitty.


And this little witch for my little witch. The broom and the witch are two different stamps - having the clear mount stamps means you can line them up to create a scene with ease (no Stamp-a-ma-jig required!)

Oh, and a quick comment on the jagged trim piece anchoring my pictures. This is an example of why I never throw anything away. This was a scrap that was created when I made the giant rosette for this layout. I saw it in my scrap bag and felt the jaggedness complimented my layouts theme.


I added bling in several locations in the form of Basic Rhinestones. I scattered some of the large ones in among the leaves and then used the small rope rhinestones two ways. One was under the kitty, in a straight line. The other you can see here - I curved it as I was sticking it down to create glittery swirls. The organic shape compliments the leaf cluster. 
My Apron Strings cake had bling as one of my ingredients (Sprinkles) so I was glad to incorporate it so cleverly here.

Finally, an apology. For using so many discontinued items. It was totally not my intention and to be honest I didn't even notice until I was writing this post and trying to link to the products. I am sure that all scrappers out there can attest to having older product in their stashes so please forgive me for trying to use mine up. I think a good take away tip for you is that products that are non-themed can still be used effectively on a themed layout. The Spice Cake DSP and the Gently Falling stamp set are most definitely NOT Halloween themed but the colours are a good match and when mixed with few Halloween stamps and some great pictures of kids in costume, they work well for this kind of layout.

Thanks for stopping by. Happy Stamping Everyone!

6 comments:

  1. This layout is gorgeous, and I love how you used your DSP! The stamping and rhinestones are phenomenal, too! Hope you have a great weekend with some fun crafty time!!! Hugs, Roxy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This LO is so cute! Thanks for playing along with us at GP...x

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweet layout. love your background paper & leaves,great colour combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful leaf-layering for the photo-corner in the sketch...love how you've colored them, and love that you found the perfect scrap in your stash for the background paper! Thanks so much for joining in with our Get Picky challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fun layout! Love it!!! Thanks so much for playing along!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one nice thing about being no-so-caught-up in layouts, you've got plenty of things to choose from whenever you want. . .Christmas in July, Halloween in February :) Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete